Holly Rose: "Slow, intentional living is the foundation of the conscious lifestyle."
Preface: The average American tosses out 81 pounds of clothing each year; We now buy five times more clothes than we did in the 1980's; and a fast fashion piece of clothing lasts just five weeks in a woman's wardrobe before it's tossed out. Currently, our mainstream fashion industry, with a tunnel-vision for the bottom line, encourages ever-insatiable materialism at the cost of our social welfare, environmental well-being, and public health.
But it doesn't have to be this way. In honor of Second-Hand September, KW highlights change-makers glamorizing slow, re-loved, and vintage fashion as statements of appreciation for the heartfelt stories told by cherished clothes.
- Sweater from Ally Bee; ethically and sustainably made from un-dyed British Alpaca in the UK
- Purse from Sonya Kashmiri; made with vegetable-tanned byproduct leather made in Portugal
- Vintage jeans from LEVI; gifted by a vintage seller at a market stall in San Antonio; over 30 years old!
- Bracelets from Threads Worldwide, a brand which weaves empowering tales from over 50 countries around the world. Both these pieces were ethically made by women supported by this company to share their creative talents.
- Lipstick from ILIA; cruelty-free, derived from renewable resources, no synthetic chemicals; recyclable packaging; ingredients come from natural origins
- Mascara and blush from ELATE COSMETICS, a Canadian brand which makes all its products toxins-free, ethically, sustainably, using mostly compostable packaging
What are you working on in terms of holistic health this month?
"Balance. It's so funny that you can write about living consciously, yet in reality, be super busy and stressed out. I've been concentrating on pulling back and readjusting all summer and I feel refreshed and reinspired which in turn has made me live more consciously.
Slow, intentional living is the foundation of the conscious lifestyle.
September will be about cementing that."
What's a purposeful pleasure you indulge in?
"I'm a sucker for ALLY BEE sweaters. I love the owner -- she's a wonderful, inspiring woman and for European weather, her sweaters are all I need to feel cosy and comfortable."
What inspires you most right now?
"Reading. For a few years, I've been too busy to really sit down and read a chapter a night.
But now I'm putting aside time to read what others write so I can learn, grow and create."
Ecoluxe Looks champions change makers making a statement with style. Submit your feature here.